Tuesday, April 15, 2008

10 Questions with Primetime17

For the first installment of the AL 10 questions, we are starting with Primetime17 , owner of the Little Rock Primetimers . They have been with us in JAHA now for 6 seasons and are the only team to have won their division 5 seasons and counting.

1. How did you get into whatifsports?

I saw a link on MLB.Com and have been hooked since the day I clicked it

2. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? Keep in mind that every manager will be asked this. Things like Age, Work, location, family things, hobbies/interests, personality quirks.

Im a NYC boy, born and raised. Im not on the other side of the mountain but I can see the top. For the last 20 years I have been a Race Horse Trainer, racing in the tough NY/NJ circuit (Meadowlands, Yonkers, Freehold). For a number of years I was 1 of the leading Trainers at Yonkers Raceway and won the training title in 2001 with 113 Wins. These days I mostly play poker and play HBD for my entertainment. I have been known to be a little bit of a hot head here in WIS but its only my competitive nature. Deep down I can be very sensitive and warm hearted.

3. In your opinion, what minor league player, in your franchise, has the most potential to be a ML star and why?

Unfortunately all my good young players were pressed into duty and playing in the Big Leagues. Also with a very low draft choice every year its hard to find any new ones. The one that does stick out in my mind is AAA pitcher Carlos Izquierdo. So far he has moved up the ranks and pitched well at every level.

4. Would you change anything about your budget this season?

Yes. More player payroll as I am at my limit.

5. How did you come up with your team name?

I actually had a Sports Memorabilia business at one time called Primetime Sports. I got that name from a coach that said I was the best 6:00 hitter he ever seen (but too bad the games started at 7:00) and he also used to say you needed to be a Primetime player, not a 6:00 player. No, it has nothing to do with Deion Sanders.

6. In real life, what teams/sports do you like? Also did you play sports as a kid and what was that like?

Guess I kinda answered that already but I played baseball and basketball almost my whole life. Loved basketball more but was a way better baseball player. My life is my beloved NY Mets but I am also a big NY Jets fan and, sorry to say, a NY Knicks fan.

7. Who is your team MVP thus far in the ML’s

Hard to answer that because I am off to my usual slow start but LF Cecil Bush and SP Kent Hart are my 2 best players and Im sure they will rise to the top.

8. As the only owner to have 5 straight division champions, do you feel any pressure? Also do you think you will do it again this season? Could this be the year you win the world series?

I actually do feel the pressure right now because despite 5 straight divisions I have won only 1 playoff series. This year with basically everyone coming back I added a #3 hitter in Alex Guevara and an Ace in Pokey Smith and feel they put me over the top. Unfortunately I am only at 12-14 at this moment and Im starting to worry why I cant get rolling.

9. Are you worried about the loss of Alex Guevara? Do you think he will be at risk now for repeat injuries?

Well I dont think I can afford to lose him because I was 8-2 before he got hurt and went 4-12 without him. He is back now and his health rating is 90 so I cant feel he is going to be injury prone.

10.You have had a number of guys promoted to the big leagues this season. In your mind which of them has the best chance of becoming a star?

This is Alex Guevara 1st year in the majors and I think he has a big career ahead. Also I have two young RP's named Victor Lee and Denny Zhou that are in their 1st full major league season and I think that 1-2 punch before my super steady closer Buster Lankford are going to make it tough to come back against the Primetimers late in the game when we have a lead.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Primetimers! Best of luck the rest of the way

Next up on ten questions, from the NL, we have the Tampa Bay Red Tide. Look for new questions from the NL and AL every4 days or so. Until then...







1 comment:

Kahrtmen said...

A glimpse into Primtimer's soul. Interesting stuff.