Thursday, April 17, 2008

10 Questions with nwilson2

On Todays edition of 10 questions we are talking to nwilsion2 owner of the Tampa Bay Red Tides. Tampa Bay has made the playoffs all 5 seasons, the only NL team to do so. This is the first interview from the NL.

1. How did you get into whatifsports?

A friend of mine actually convinced me to give it a try. I had been playing multiple fantasy games with him (Baseball, Football, Basketball, NASCAR etc.) and he thought I would like it. He was right I’ve been pretty into it since Day 1 of the Tampa Bay Red Tide!

2. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? Keep in mind that every manager will be asked this. Things like Age, Work, location, family things, hobbies/interests, personality quirks.

I’m 24 years old and currently living in Baltimore, MD. I grew up in the small town of Chestertown located on the Easter Shore of Maryland. I lived there all my life even staying in Chestertown to attend Washington College. Upon graduation I made the move across the Chesapeake Bay to take an internship, which latter turned into a job. I love all sports and get drilled by the girlfriend for playing more attention to them then her. I play all Fantasy sports and usually have multiple teams in multiple leagues. I spend most of the summer weekends on my newly acquired boat and enjoy the summer sun and beaches. I’m going to stop writing about myself now because I’m beginning to feel like this is a personal add that’s going to be posted on a dating website.

3. In your opinion, what minor league player, in your franchise, has the most potential to be a ML star and why?

I would be the first to admit that I don’t really have a very good minor league system. Choosing to sign high priced Free Agents and losing draft picks. My 3 favorite/top prospects are currently in the Majors with Carl Nelson being the one I have the highest hopes for. Of the prospects still in my minor leagues I think Wolf James has the potential to be a solid ML player if he can stay healthy.

4. Would you change anything about your budget this season?

If I could change anything I guess it would be to add more money into my player payroll budget. I know I already have the 3rd highest player payroll in the league but it would have been nice if I could have spent the money needed to sign Perry Bennett! I really need a #1 caliber starter especially since my #2 pitcher went down for the season. Hopefully a stud pitcher will make it into Free Agency this off season!!

5. How did you come up with your team name?

I vacation in Tampa usually for a week every year. Someone had already picked the Baltimore location when I signed up so I decided to go with Tampa. During my last trip to Tampa there had been some Red Tide in the Gulf and so I just used it as a team name. I thought it was an interesting name until I found out my colors were yellow and blue! The Red Tide name kind of lost its edge when the team has no red in the color scheme. Whatif should allow teams to pick their own colors!

6. In real life, what teams/sports do you like? Also did you play sports as a kid and what was that like?

I’m a big Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan! So much so that I convinced myself it was a good idea to buy season tickets even though I live in Baltimore and could only attend one game, at the most, each year! I also love the Baltimore Orioles however 10 losing seasons has made it easy to forget about them and route more for my individual fantasy players then the O’s. Growing up I played all sports but as I got older and practices started to conflict with each other I choose Baseball and Football. I played both sports in High school and continued playing baseball in college. After one year on the Division III College team I called it quits and now only play the occasional game of squash.

7. Who is your team MVP thus far in the ML’s

The MVP of the Red Tide is Tito Wilkerson. Currently he has 14 homeruns, 45 RBIs and 15 SBs and we have only played roughly 30 games. I’m hoping he can win the league MVP award this year!

8. You have made the playoffs all five seasons. Do you think you will continue this streak? Also do you think you can win the world series this year?

I do think the streak will continue this year. It looks like NY and Washington will give me a run for my money but I think my hitting will prove good enough to propel me into the playoffs. I don’t think a World Series win is in the cards for this year even though I hope it happens. I don’t think I have the pitching needed to compete in the playoffs. Last year I thought I was going to make it to the World Series but Chicago swept me and with their pitching I don’t know how I’m going to get by them in the playoffs. Hopefully someone else can do my dirty work and knock them out before I have to play them. Even then without a trade for a big time pitcher I don’t think I have what it takes to make it to the Series.

9.You made three trades this year. Which do you think is your best trade and do you think you will make the playoffs because of these trades?

By far my best trade was the one that netted me Tito Wilkerson. He has done nothing but hit since he has come to the Red Tide. Even though that was the best trade the other 2 trades were for guys that have proven to be key pieces of my team currently.

10. Who do you consider to be your rival/rivals in this league?

My biggest rivals are the teams in the NL east. I really can’t single anyone of the teams out has each year a different team has taken the title from me or given me a good chase. One year it was NY, one year it was DC, last year it was Huntington and this year it looks like DC and NY are going to be tough to get by.

A Big thanks to Tampa Bay for answering my questions! Good Luck the rest of the way!

Up next a team from the AL...

1 comment:

Kahrtmen said...

Tito Wilkerson. Can't believe I traded him away in season 1. I just threw up in my mouth.